Friday, January 3, 2014

Don't Forget to Be Kind

These days, it seems that everyone is so concerned about themselves.  We have become such a self-absorbed people, focusing only on what we can personally benefit from.  The brotherly love and genuine concern for others that was so characteristic of people long ago seem almost extinct. 

As a teacher, I stand in the halls and watch students accidentally bump into each other and never stop to say, "excuse me", even if that bump results in one or both parties dropping their books or other belongings onto the floor.  Similarly, I watch people walk into buildings and fail to hold the door open for the person entering directly behind them.  What happened to good ole' kindess?  Is it gone?

Nope!  It's not.  Just today, I was dining with three of my teacher friends at a local restaurant. (Today was teacher inservice--one of the very few and highly coveted days for teachers to bust out from the school lunchroom and have "regular people" lunch.) As we were sitting there dining, a young couple entered with their infant baby and we all drooled over the beautiful baby.

The dad was extremely proud and kept engaging in conversation with us about his new bundle of joy.  Long story short, when we finished our lunch and went to pay for our meal, I noticed my colleague whispering to the cashier.  I finally figured out that she was paying for that family's meal.  When we got in the car, I asked and she confirmed that she indeed paid for their meal.  I'm embarrassed to admit that my initial response was, "why?"  Have I become one of the heartless people who inspired this blog post?

Anyway, this one tiny act of kindness inspired me to work harder to be kind to others.  I don't make New Year's Resolutions, but if I did, being kinder to others would definitely be on my list.






No comments:

Post a Comment